If your QuickBooks Desktop is damaged and when it cannot be resolved from a simple reinstall of the software, then you might need to completely uninstall QuickBooks from your computer, rename all the installation files that have been left behind and then install QuickBooks again. This procedure is known as Clean Install or Clean Uninstall.
Note: your QuickBooks Desktop download file or your installation CD and license numbers handy before uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Press the Windows key and R simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box on your screen.
- Type “Control Panel” in the search box and then hit enter.
- Click on Programs and Features and If Control Panel is in Category View, click on Uninstall a Program.
- A list of programs will open on your screen, choose QuickBooks, then click on Uninstall/Change.
- Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the process.
Step 2: Rename the Installation Folders
You can use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to rename the folders that have been left behind automatically. The alternative is to go through the renaming process manually.
Download and run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Download the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Tool.exe file on your computer.
- Open QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe by double-clicking on the icon.
- Click on “I Accept on the license agreement.”
- Choose your version of QuickBooks Desktop, then click on Continue.
- Click OK when the message appears “QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory.”
Manually rename the QuickBooks Desktop installation folders.
You can use the Windows Explorer to rename each of the folder locations and files. We suggest, add ‘old’ or ‘damaged’ at the end of all the folder names. QuickBooks wont be able to recognize the folders and hence will make a new copy of it.
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
Error: Access Denied When Renaming Folders
- Press the Alt+Ctrl+Delete key simultaneously to open a new screen. Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab and select the Image Name column header to sort the processes alphabetically by name.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe, then click on End Process.
- Click on “Yes” when the message”WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability….” appears on your screen.
Step 3: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
This is the last resort option. If none of the solutions have worked out for you, you will have to reinstall your QuickBooks. You can either do that or call the toll-free QuickBooks Support Number 1888-382-9112 and get assistance from eh QuickBooks Experts. The QuickBooks Experts are available round the clock to help out the Users.